Got to visit The Well today, which is a ministry that reaches out to some of the sex workers in Bangkok. (If you didn’t know, this is a huge problem in Thailand. Many women fall into it, because it’s the last option for making decent money.) The Well helps these women create new work (like making greeting cards and jewelry), educates them, and shows them Jesus. I actually found their website before I even got the job officially at ICS. I was inspired by the work they do (check out the link above to see the site), and I knew I wanted to somehow be a part of it.
As I’ve been praying about where to serve, I got in contact with The Well and found out they actually have ways that I can help!! Many of the students would love to learn some musical instruments, so I’m going to go once a week and teach a little guitar. My friend, Kristi, also is going to come and teach piano at that time. We’re not uber-talented in these areas, but it gives us an opportunity to build relationships with these special women. What a huge privilege and answer to prayer! So amazing that we can be answering their prayers (for needed help) and they could be answering our prayers (about where to help)…at the same time. I’m soooo excited! Please pray for wisdom as we try to connect with these ladies and show them God’s love.
Anyway, onto the less important tidbits:
- Had a great first week of school. It’s so fun getting to know my students better. If I could only get all 61 names down…
- I get to help at my first Friday Night Fellowship with middle-schoolers this week. Pray that I can build deep relationships with students, and for good conversations.
- Yesterday, at church, we got to see several people baptized…from Thailand, the US, Camaroon, Vietnam, and China, I think. They shared their testimonies first (in many different languages!), which was a real blessing.
- I enjoyed my first massage here in Thailand. One hour foot massage for 200 baht (or about $6). Lovely.
- Last of all, I’ve been seeing some elephants around my home!
…Except, I haven’t gotten a good picture of ’em yet! Just not quick enough with the camera. But hey, good thing to end on, yeah? 🙂